The University Hospital of Ioannina, established in 1990, serves as a notable institution in the healthcare sector, not only for the city of Ioannina but also for the entire western Greece region. With its 800 active beds, it is recognized as the largest healthcare facility in this area, combining patient care, research, and education.
Wide-ranging Medical Services
The hospital caters to a vast range of medical needs:
- Clinical Services: It tends to 45,000 patients annually and manages around 130,000 outpatient visits each year.
- Advanced Surgical Procedures: The hospital’s operating rooms are equipped for a variety of surgeries, from organ transplants to modern laparoscopic procedures.
- Tertiary Care: It offers top-tier medical services to almost 1 million people, primarily from the Epirus region.
Medical Departments and Services
The hospital offers a holistic healthcare approach with departments in many specialties:
- Surgery, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Orthopedics, Cardiology, and more.
Additionally, the hospital features:
- Modern medical imaging tools such as CT, MRI, and PET scans.
- An endoscopy section with the latest HD video endoscopes.
- Labs for clinical pathology, microbiology, and a comprehensive blood bank.
The University Hospital of Ioannina has departments covering all major specialties:
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Intensive Care
- Radiology and Nuclear Medicine
The hospital provides a full range of medical, surgical, and diagnostic services, including:
- Outpatient clinics and examinations
- Inpatient wards, intensive care, and emergency services
- Operating rooms performing complex surgeries and transplants
- Advanced medical imaging like CT, MRI, and PET scanning
- Endoscopy suite with latest HD video endoscopes
- Cardiac catheterization lab and echocardiography
- Clinical pathology, microbiology, and blood bank
- Rehabilitation services
- Palliative care and pain management
Research and Learning Initiatives
The hospital’s affiliation with the University of Ioannina’s School of Medicine and Nursing facilitates medical research and education:
- Clinical Trials: It conducts important clinical trials, often collaborating with the Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group.
- Research Units: Its research units, especially in the Medical Oncology Department, focus on various cancer studies.
- Educational Focus: Being a teaching hospital, the institution plays a vital role in training future healthcare professionals, offering undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
How to Schedule an Appointment
For those considering the hospital’s services:
- Call: Use the central appointment numbers +30 26510 99500 or +30 26510 99111. These are available from Monday-Friday between 7am-7pm and on weekends from 8am-5pm.
- Online Portal: Appointments can be booked online through the hospital’s e-health portal after registering.
- On Arrival: Patients are advised to come 15 minutes before their scheduled time with their insurance details, a valid ID, and any necessary medical documents.
- The hospital’s website has additional information on departments, services, and how to get to the hospital. Alternatively you can use Google Maps on your phone.
Mission of Ioannina Hospital
- Delivering the best care possible within the resources of the Greek National Health System.
- Providing emergency services to those in urgent need.
- Working seamlessly with other healthcare providers to give patients a comprehensive care experience.