The AHEPA University Hospital in Thessaloniki was established in 1947 by the American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association (AHEPA). It’s one of Greece’s biggest hospitals, boasting 680 beds. The hospital offers a wide range of medical and surgical treatments, focusing on cardiology, neurosurgery, oncology, ophthalmology, ENT, and nephrology. It’s partnered with the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki Medical School and functions as a primary teaching institution.
Table of Contents
History of AHEPA Hospital in Thessaloniki, Greece:
- AHEPA University Hospital was founded in 1947 with financial support from AHEPA (American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association), a Greek-American organization in the United States.
- It opened to the public in 1951 during the 25th anniversary celebrations of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. However, normal operations did not begin until March 1953.
- The hospital is associated with the 4th Health District of the Health Services of Macedonia and Thrace. It operates with administrative and financial autonomy.
- AHEPA Hospital is located within Aristotle University and is considered a major teaching hospital in Greece. It is part of the National Healthcare System (ESY).
- 1947-1951: AHEPA raised over $170,000 in the first few weeks of a nationwide fundraising drive to establish the hospital.
- 1948: The first AHEPA health center in Greece opened in Chryssoupolis, Kavala. This was the first of several AHEPA medical institutions in the country.
- 1955: The Swedish philanthropic group Rädda Barnen (Save the Children) donated funds to construct a 100-bed pediatric pavilion. The university pediatric clinic moved into this new building in 1958.
- 1970s: Hospital facilities were expanded with new clinic buildings.
- 1980s-1990s: Further upgrades were made, including a new accident and emergency department.
- Today, AHEPA Hospital covers around 50,000 sqm over several buildings constructed at different times.
- It has 680 beds and provides healthcare across all medical and surgical specialties, as well as psychiatry.
- The hospital continues to operate as a major healthcare institution in Greece, serving over 10 million patients to date.
Medical specialties covered at the AHEPA University Hospital in Thessaloniki, Greece
- Cardiology: The cardiology department provides services like clinical cardiology, cardiac catheterization, electrophysiology, and more.
- Neurosurgery: The neurosurgery department treats disorders such as brain tumors, vascular diseases, and spine issues. It is equipped with modern facilities.
- ENT: This department provides diagnosis and treatment for ear, nose, and throat conditions, including endoscopic sinus surgery and otosurgery.
- Ophthalmology: Comprehensive eye care services are offered, which include cataract surgery, glaucoma management, cornea services, and more. The hospital is equipped with advanced diagnostic facilities.
- Nephrology and Dialysis: The department offers all forms of dialysis, renal transplant, and treatment of kidney disorders. The peritoneal dialysis program is renowned.
- Oncology: Oncology services are provided in both adult and pediatric departments, featuring a range of cancer diagnostic and treatment facilities.
- Radiology: The hospital is equipped with state-of-the-art imaging modalities like MRI, CT, PET-CT, and nuclear medicine.
- Surgery: A variety of surgical services are offered, ranging from general surgery to subspecialties like orthopedics, urology, cardiothoracic, vascular, and plastic surgery.
- Pediatrics: Comprehensive care for children is provided, including neonatology and pediatric hematology-oncology.
- Psychiatry: The department offers mental health services for adolescents and adults, catering to the central Thessaloniki area.
Facilities and Technology
- Modern medical equipment including MRI, CT, PET-CT scanners.
- Robotic surgery capabilities.
- Fully digitalized pathology laboratory.
- Electronic medical records system.
- 24/7 emergency department and intensive care units.
- Outpatient specialty clinics.
- Medical and surgical inpatient wards.
- Operating rooms performing around 1000 surgeries annually.
Research and Academics
- Active research collaborations with Aristotle University.
- Conducts clinical trials and publishes widely.
- Training programs for medical students and residents.
Quality of medical care provided at the AHEPA Hospital in Thessaloniki:
- Patients generally report high satisfaction with the quality of care, facilities, and medical staff at AHEPA Hospital. It is seen as one of the top hospitals in Greece.
- Some surveys have found over 90% patient satisfaction rates for factors like doctor communication, nursing services, cleanliness, etc. Patients highlight polite staff and good follow-up care.
- However, long wait times for appointments and crowding in some departments remain issues affecting satisfaction.
- AHEPA Hospital provides very good clinical outcomes across most major specialties like cardiology, neurosurgery, oncology, nephrology etc.
- Mortality rates, surgical success rates, and other clinical outcome metrics are at par with international standards and top hospitals globally.
- The hospital has state-of-the-art facilities including hybrid operating rooms, robotic surgery, advanced imaging, and ICUs aiding clinical care.
Research and Publications
- AHEPA Hospital publishes extensively in major medical journals and has a strong research focus as a university hospital.
- It participates in international multi-center clinical trials and collaborates on research projects with organizations like the EU and WHO.
- Research productivity is high across many departments and specialties like cardiology, oncology, neurology, nephrology, etc.
- Address: St. Kyriakidi 1, Thessaloniki 54636, Greece
- Phone: +30 2310 993111
- Website: https://www.ahepahosp.gr/