The KAT General Hospital of Attica, also known as KAT Hospital, is a major public tertiary care hospital located in Kifisia in the northern suburbs of Athens, Greece.
- Founded in 1963, it was originally known as the Accident’s Hospital “Apostle Paul”.
- It is part of the National Healthcare System of Greece and is supervised by the 1st Health District of Attica.
Facilities and Services
- KAT Hospital has 650 beds and employs over 400 physicians.
- It serves as a teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Athens Medical School.
- The hospital specializes in orthopedics, traumatology, and rehabilitation, with 7 general orthopedic departments and 4 specialized orthopedic departments.
- Other major departments include general medicine, cardiology, pathology, radiology, ICU, and emergency medicine.
- The hospital has a helipad and provides emergency air ambulance services.
Key specialties and services provided by the KAT General Hospital of Attica in Greece:
- Orthopedics and Traumatology – The hospital specializes in orthopedics, with 7 general orthopedic departments and 4 specialized orthopedic departments. It is considered the leading hospital for accidents, fractures, and rehabilitation in Greece.
- Emergency Medicine – KAT has a busy emergency department and provides emergency air ambulance services with its helipad. It handles a high volume of accident and trauma cases.
- General Medicine – The hospital provides general medical services across major departments like internal medicine, cardiology, pathology, radiology, ICU, etc.
- Rehabilitation – As a major orthopedic center, KAT has a strong focus on rehabilitation services for recovery after accidents, fractures, and surgeries.
- Teaching Hospital – KAT serves as a teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Athens Medical School. It provides training to medical students.
- Research – The hospital engages in medical research and clinical trials, particularly related to orthopedics, in collaboration with universities.
- Surgery – KAT has surgical capabilities across orthopedic subspecialties. It also provides maxillofacial surgery for facial trauma injuries.
History of KAT Hospital
The history of the establishment of the Accident and Rehabilitation Hospital for the Wounded and Disabled “APOSTOLOS PAULOS” (Apostle Paul) has its origin in the establishment of the 449 Wounded Rehabilitation Center by the General Staff of the Army on October 5, 1949.
The idea of establishing the Center is attributed to the then Queen Frederica or, according to another testimony, to the Chief Physician N. Vryonis. The center was mainly a treatment center and its purpose was to cure the war wounded of their ailments and to make them able to recover. Its commander was the chief physician N. Vryonis. It was housed in the Kazoulis villa and in 8 detached pavilions called TOL. It developed special pavilions: a gymnasium, a recreation center, a handicraft workshop and an agricultural school.
In the following years, as the number of wounded soldiers decreased, civilians began to be admitted as outpatients and the facility was made available to the IKA.
In 1951, the “Apostle Paul” Foundation for the Rehabilitation of the Disabled was established as a legal entity under private law, and for a time it was merged with the 449 KAT. It accepted only outpatients in need of physiotherapy.
In August 1953, after the devastating earthquakes in Zakynthos and Kefalonia, it was ordered to receive and treat its first inpatients, 80 victims of the earthquakes.
In 1955, after buying more land from the owners of Villa Kazoulis, the construction of the new hospital began, which was completed in 1962.
The School of Nursing of KAT was established in 1971 and in 1980 it was transformed into a two-year School of Nursing. The hospital is now a public institution according to Decree 304/5-8-83.
In 1951, the Church of Apostle Paul was built in the yard of Villa Kazoulis with the donation of Mrs. N. Balaska.
- KAT Hospital is considered one of the largest and most advanced hospitals in the Athens metropolitan area.
- It handles a high volume of accident and trauma cases, establishing itself as a leading center for orthopedics and rehabilitation in Greece.
- The hospital plays a vital role in treating patients across Attica region as part of the national healthcare system.
- In recent years, KAT has focused on modernization and adopting advanced medical technology.
- It is working on becoming Greece’s first fully digitized hospital, including electronic systems, telemedicine, and artificial intelligence.
- KAT Hospital conducts medical research and clinical trials in collaboration with universities and industry.
- Address: 2 Nikis St, Kifisia 14561, Greece
- Phone: +30 213 2086000
- Website: www.kat-hosp.gr