Hygeia Hospital is the first large private hospital established in Greece in 1970. It is one of the largest private hospitals in the country today. It is located in the northern suburbs of Athens, close to the Athens International Airport. Hygeia has 440 beds, 18 operating theaters, over 1,200 medical staff, and 700 associated physicians across 50 specialties.
Established in 1970 by a group of Greek doctors, YGEIA Hospital was created to set a new standard for private hospitals in Greece. Today, it remains a pioneer in the healthcare industry, prioritizing high-quality services and expanding its integrated health network both locally and internationally. Throughout its history, YGEIA Hospital has achieved significant medical milestones, including being the first hospital in Greece to perform a heart transplant, manage a case of AIDS, and conduct the implantation of radioactive seeds for prostate cancer in Europe. In addition, the hospital successfully separated conjoined twins in 1989, granting them the opportunity to lead independent lives.
The hospital’s primary objective has always been to deliver exceptional services at the forefront of medical science and technology. It also strives to develop a comprehensive health network in Greece and abroad.
YGEIA Hospital offers a range of cutting-edge facilities and services, such as Greece’s only Brain Radiosurgery Department equipped with the innovative Gamma Knife® PerfexionTM, the country’s first operating PET-CT department, and a state-of-the-art Radiotherapy and Oncology Center with advanced linear accelerators.
The hospital also features a benchmark Intensive Care Unit, a modern Liquid Organ Transplant Unit, an up-to-date Day Surgery Unit, and the largest Department of Interventional Neuroradiology for Brain Aneurysm Embolization.
Additionally, YGEIA Hospital boasts the latest advancements in surgical technology, including the Da Vinci® S Robotic Surgery System and the Neuro-navigation System for tumor removal in the brain.
With its remarkable achievements and comprehensive offerings, YGEIA Hospital has established itself as a leading medical institution not only in Greece but also internationally.
Key Medical Specialties Offered at Hygeia Hospital
- Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery: Hygeia is renowned for its expertise in cardiology, heart surgery, and interventional cardiology procedures. It performed Greece’s first heart transplant in 1990.
- Oncology: Comprehensive cancer care including radiotherapy, chemotherapy, radiosurgery, PET-CT diagnostics, and robotic surgery. Hygeia has a Radiation Oncology Center and Genetic Oncology Unit.
- Neurosurgery: The hospital provides specialized neurosurgical care and interventional neuroradiology for conditions like aneurysms. It has advanced Gamma Knife radiosurgery capabilities.
- Orthopedics and Trauma Surgery: Orthopedic care covering joint replacements, spine surgery, sports medicine, and trauma surgery.
- General and Laparoscopic Surgery: Broad surgical capabilities across specialties like general surgery, thoracic surgery, vascular surgery, plastic and reconstructive surgery.
- Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery: Services for weight loss and bariatric surgery.
- Urology and Nephrology: Treatment for kidney conditions, urinary tract disorders, and urological cancers. Robotic surgery is available.
- Ophthalmology: Comprehensive eye care, from routine exams to complex ophthalmic surgeries.
- Other specialties: Endocrinology, gastroenterology, dermatology, gynecology, ENT, dental and maxillofacial surgery.
Accreditation and Recognition
Hygeia is the first hospital in Greece accredited by Joint Commission International (JCI) for quality and patient safety. It is a leading private hospital preferred by embassies, international organizations, and insurance companies in Greece. Hygeia has received multiple awards and recognition for its medical services, work environment, and corporate governance.
Hygeia treats around 1000 international patients annually from the EU, Balkans, Middle East and other regions. It has partnerships with hospitals abroad to facilitate knowledge exchange and training. English, French, Turkish and other language services are available for international patients.
- Address: 4 Erythrou Stavrou Str. & Kifisias Ave, Marousi, Athens, Greece
- Phone: +30 210 6867000
- Website: www.hygeia.gr