“Marika Eliadi” maternity hospital was founded by Helena Venizelou. Upon acknowledging, in 1926, that in the entire greater capital district (of some 400.000 inhabitants at the time) there were only three inadequately operating maternity hospitals (the Public Maternity Hospital, 70 beds, the “Tzaneio” Hospital Obstetric Department, 10 beds, and the Community Maternity Hospital) with deficiencies in scientific instruments and appropriately educated staff, she decided to donate to the city of Athens a scientifically complete maternity hospital that would cover all of the capital’s needs and tuition for this skilled and educated midwives for the entire country especially for the rural provinces for this.
In February 16th, 1933, the main large central building of what is nowadays Helena Venizelou General – Maternity Hospital was founded, named after the donator’s dear friend, Marika Eliadis. Soon after this, it acquired the fame of being the first and foremost in its kind in the entire Balkan region.
In 1940, under the Italian-German occupation, obstetric hospital operations were cancelled and – it was used as a military hospital – up until liberation. Ever since (1942) and onwards the foundation hosted the Community
In 1984, ensuing the establishment of Technical Educational Foundations by the ministry of education, “Virginia Skilitsi”, the “Women’s Midwifery School” was annulled and its building was re-assigned to cover Hospital needs.
In 1988 a purchase and sale agreement made among the “Marika Iliadi ” foundation Board of Directors, the Ministry of Health and Welfare and State Social Insurance rendered the unit Public under its current name: Helena Venizelou General & Maternity District Hospital
Related pages about Hospitals In Greece:
- Achillopouleio General Hospital of Volos
- Agia Sofia Children’s Hospital of Athens
- Community Mental Health Center of Katerini
- General Hospital of Preveza
- Health Care Center of Plomari
- Helena Venizelou General & Maternity District Hospital of Athens
- Hospital of Limnos
- Hygeia Diagnostic & Therapeutic Center of Athens
- KAT General Hospital of Attica
- Medialyse Dialysis Center of Loutraki
- Onasis Cardiac Surgery Center of Athens
- Sismanoglio General Hospital of Attica
- Spiliopoulio Pathological Hospital of Athens
- St. George General Hospital of Chania
- The Ophthalmiatrio Eye Hospital of Athens
Read more about the Helena Venizelou General & Maternity District Hospital: