The legacy of football in Greece is rich and deeply woven into the cultural tapestry of the nation, most notably through the celebrated Greek Football Championship and the esteemed Super League Greece.
Launched with just three teams in the 1927-28 season, the Greek Football Championship has evolved into a vibrant competition, fostering historic rivalries and creating iconic clubs. It symbolizes the birth and evolution of football in Greece.
In parallel, the Super League Greece, established in 2006, represents the pinnacle of professional football in the country. Featuring the country’s elite clubs, it continues the tradition of competitive excellence and showcases a mix of emerging talent and seasoned veterans. Together, these leagues embody the passion, dynamism and grandeur of Greek soccer.
Table of Contents
Greek Football Championship 1927 – 2005
In the first Greek Football Championship that took place in 1927-28, only three football teams participated: Aris, Ethnikos, Atromitos of Athens, the champions of Thessaloniki, Piraeus and Athens respectively. This system worked till 1930.
In the 1928-29 season, no Football Championship was organized, due to severe financial difficulties and in 34-35, the Football Championship began but didn΄t reach completion. The reason was the fact that our country had undertaken the organization of the 4th Balkan Football Cup.
Greek Football Championship of 1930-31, which started in January 31, 1930, the eight best football teams from Athens, Piraeus and Thessaloniki participated (by decision of the Executive Board of Greek Football Federation). In this Championship the following teams participated: Panathinaikos, AEK, Apollon, Olympiakos, Ethnikos, PAOK, Aris and Iraklis. This system worked till 1939-40.
During the B΄ World War all athletic activities having to do with football ceased. In 1945-46 the Football championship starts again in the form of «city championship» and finals between the first three football teams of Athens, Piraeus and Thessaloniki. The only novelty during these years is the fact that football teams from provincial towns join in too, in an effort to create the Greek National Division in a very first version.
- From 1959-60, A΄ Football Division starts out (sometimes with 16 and sometimes with 18 teams) and, from 1979-80 we enter the Professional Football Championship period.
- From 1979-1980 till 1982-83, in the professional A΄ Football Division 18 teams participated whilst from 1983-84 till 1988-89, 16 teams did.
- From 1989-90 till 2000-01, 18 football teams participated.
- Finally, in 2001-02, 14 football teams joined in, while 16 teams joined in the football championships of 2002-03, 2003-2004 and 2004-2005.
Super League Greece 2006-2023
Super League Greece, is the highest professional football league in Greece. The league was formed on July 16, 2006, replacing Alpha Ethniki at the top of the Greek football league system.
The Greek Super League consists of 14 teams. This structure has been in place since the 2019/20 season, when the league was reduced from 16 teams. The teams compete in a 26-game home and away series. At the end of the season, the top 6 clubs face each other in a 10-game championship round to decide the Super League champions and the teams to enter the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa Conference League.
The teams that have played in the top division in every season since the league’s inception in its modern form are Olympiacos, Panathinaikos, and PAOK. The most recent champion, as of the 2022-2023 season, is AEK Athens, which won its 13th title.
Here is a list of the clubs that have won the championship from 1928 to 2023 [source]:
- Olympiacos: 47 titles
- Panathinaikos: 20 titles
- AEK Athens: 13 titles
- PAOK: 3 titles
- Aris Thessaloniki: 3 titles
- AEL: 1 title
It’s important to note that the Super League Greece is currently entitled to two entrants into the UEFA Champions League. The reigning champions enter the third qualifying round through the champion path, while the runners up enter the competition via the second qualifying round through the league route. The third-placed team enters the UEFA Europa League qualifying rounds.
The Super League Greece is ranked 19th in the UEFA as of May 2023.
Who are the current top scorers in the Greek Super League?
As of October 22, 2023, the top scorers in the Greek Super League are:
- Ayoub El Kaabi from Olympiacos and Loren Morón from Aris, both with 5 goals each.
- They are followed by Andrija Zivkovic from PAOK Thessaloniki with 4 goals.
Several players have scored 3 goals, including:
- Bernard from Panathinaikos
- Carlitos from Lamia
- Daniel Podence from Olympiacos
- Fabiano Leismann from Aris
- Filip Duricic from Panathinaikos
- Fotis Ioannidis from Panathinaikos
- Giorgos Masouras from Olympiacos
- Kosta Aleksic from Panserraikos
- Luiz Phellype from OFI Crete
- Nouha Dicko from OFI Crete
- Ognjen Ozegovic from Kifisia
- Paschalis Staikos from Panserraikos
- Sebastián Palacios from Panathinaikos
Read more about football In Greece