The Folklore Museum Of Mykonos

Mykonos Folklore Museum

Mykonos Folklore Museum is located in the Venetian Castle (also known as Kastro) and was founded on May 1958. The old double stories whitewashed building, of which the museum is part of, is an old house which dates back from the 18th century.

The museum exhibits an impressive collection of folklore items, folk musical instruments, textiles and traditional costumes, and also important pieces of furniture and pieces of sculpture. Important tools, pieces of ceramics, photographs, are also displayed for the visitors.

There is also a large collection of commemorative plates of Greek kings and queens, asl well as samples of embroidery.

The Folklore Museum incorporates the Agricultural Museum which is located in Ano Myli. Another branch of the Folk Museum is Lena’s House at Tria Pigadia which is located in the Mykonos Town.

Lena’s House is a real middle class Mykonian residence dating from the 19th century. It has a drawing room, two bedrooms and two courtyards with a dovecote.

The Agricultural Museum has a collection of old agricultural machinery and tools and includes also the large Boris windmill which dates from the 16th century and functions as well as it did when it was built.

Read more about Mykonos

Greece Index