Discover Greek-Style Pizza: A fusion of classic pizza & rich Greek flavors like feta, Kalamata olives, and tangy yogurt dough.
The Allure of the Greek-Style Pizza
We often crave the classic Italian pizza loaded with mozzarella, pepperoni, and perhaps some bell peppers or mushrooms. But there are times when the soul seeks something different, something that resonates with the flavors of another land, and that’s where our Greek Pizza steps in. By intertwining the classic pizza essence with ingredients predominantly found in Greek cuisine, we offer a fresh take on this age-old favorite.
Ingredients that Make it ‘Greek’
Greek Feta Cheese: A crumbly, tangy cheese that elevates the taste and introduces an authentic Greek flavor to the pizza.
Olives: Particularly Kalamata olives, these dark, almond-shaped delights bring in a burst of flavor with every bite.
Oregano: A staple in Greek cuisine, oregano sprinkled on top adds both aroma and an earthy taste.
Olive Oil: Drizzled generously at the end, it adds a glossy finish and a smooth, rich texture.
Greek Yogurt: The secret behind our fluffy pizza dough. Not only does it give the dough a light texture, but it also infuses a tangy undertone, making every bite sensational.
Crafting the Perfect Greek Pizza Sauce
For those who wish to add a layer of rich sauce to this pizza, we have a simple yet delicious recommendation. Instead of opting for store-bought sauces, why not create one at home?
- Fresh Tomato Blend: Blend a few ripe tomatoes to get a smooth puree. Sauté this with a hint of garlic and oregano for a flavorful base.
- Quick Tomato Paste Sauce: If you’re short on time, dilute some tomato paste with a bit of water. Mix in some oregano and dried garlic or onion for that kick of flavor. Remember, if you don’t have dried garlic or onion on hand, make sure to grab some on your next supermarket visit.
Easy Greek Pizza with Feta Cheese
Indulge in the rich flavors of this easy-to-make, fluffy vegetarian pizza packed with authentic Greek ingredients. From the creamy tang of feta cheese to the savory notes of olives and oregano, every bite promises a journey to the Mediterranean. Moreover, the special addition of yogurt in the dough not only makes it fluffy but also enhances its flavor.
Preparation: 1 hour
Cooking: 30 minutes
Rest Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Course: Meal, Snack
Cuisine: Greek, Italian, Mediterranean, Vegetarian
Keyword: Fluffy, Yogurt, Easy, Dough, Pizza, Feta
Calories: 973 kcal
For the Dough:
- 4 ½ cups (600 g) all-purpose flour (plus extra for kneading)
- ½ teaspoon dry yeast (or 1 ½ cups for a quicker rise)
- 1 ¼ cups (300 g) water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup drained yogurt
- 3 tablespoons (35 g) olive oil
For the Sauce:
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ – 1 teaspoon dried garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 small onion, sliced
- ½ small bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small tomato (or 10 cherry tomatoes), sliced/halved
- 2-3 spoonfuls of Kalamata olives, sliced
- 200 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 200 g mozzarella, grated
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preparing the Fluffy Dough:
- Combine all the dough ingredients in a large bowl. Knead until the mixture becomes a slightly sticky dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow it to rise for 8-12 hours. (For a quicker rise, use 3 teaspoons of yeast instead of the mentioned half a teaspoon).
- Shaping the Pizza Base:
- After the dough has risen, divide it into two equal parts and shape them into balls.
- Sprinkle a piece of baking paper with some flour and place one dough ball in the center. Start flattening the ball with your hands. Using circular motions, press from the center outwards to form a thin disc. Continue this process until the disc has the size of a large pizza, approximately 30 cm in diameter.
- Let it rest for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, work on the second dough ball in a similar manner.
- Preparing the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (392°F). If you have a pizza baking stone, now’s the time to use it!
- Creating the Tomato Sauce:
- In a separate bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients and mix well.
- Evenly divide and spread the sauce over the two pizza bases using the back of a spoon.
- Topping the Pizza:
- Begin by sprinkling the crumbled feta cheese on the sauce-covered base. Add a pinch of oregano and spread the sliced olives.
- Continue with the grated mozzarella, followed by bell pepper slices, tomatoes, and onion.
- Drizzle the toppings with a touch of olive oil.
- Place the pizza on the bottom rack of the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. The pizza is ready when the cheese has melted to perfection and the dough boasts a golden-brown hue.
- Serve and Enjoy:
- Remove the pizza from the oven, slice it using a pizza cutter, and enjoy the Mediterranean flavors dancing on your palate!
Fusion of Italian and Greek Cuisine
In the vast sea of culinary choices, it’s delightful to discover a fusion that respects the essence of the original dish while introducing flavors from another world. While pizza’s roots trace back to Italy, this doesn’t mean we can’t dress it up in the flavors of another culture. Just like how the American pizza varies from its Italian counterpart, why not envision a scenario where the pizza wears a Greek robe, made up of feta, Greek yogurt for the fluffy dough, and Kalamata olives?
Our Greek-Style Pizza is more than just a meal; it’s an experience – a journey from the streets of Italy to the heart of Greece, all in one bite. Enjoy this delightful twist and let the flavors transport you to the shores of Greece.