Methoni Castle
peloponnese
Greece travel information, Greece directory
>  HOME

The Castle of Methoni

The Castle of Methoni

The castle of Methoni lies at the southernmost end of the west Greek Peloponnesian coast.

The site was fortified as early as the 7th century B.C., and in the period between 395 A.D. and 1204 A.D. was used as a Byzantine fortress.

The area was dominated by the Franks for a very short period and in 1206 was captured by the Venetians who strengthened the fortification, incorporating the pre-Christian defensive structures.


orthodox church in Santorini

 
 
This page about The Castle of Methoni is copyright of Greeceindex.com. Hosting and SEO by ArtKreta.gr