Panathenaic Stadium of Athens was the first stadium which hosted the 1st Olympic Games
of the modern era, in 1896. However, its history goes way before
the 19th century AD.
The site of the Panathenaic Stadium was originally a small natural
valley, between the two hills of Agra and Ardettos, over Ilissos
river. It was transformed into a stadium by Lykourgos in 330-329
BC for the athletic competitions of "Panathinea", the greatest
festivities in ancient Athens.
Between 140 and 144 AD, Herodes Atticus restored the Stadium,
giving it the form that was found at the 1870 excavation: the horseshoe
construction with a track 204.07 meters long and 33.35 meters wide.
It is believed that the Stadium had a seating capacity of 50,000