The Greek Organisation Against Drugs (ΟΚΑΝΑ) was established pursuant to Law 2161/93 which was passed unanimously by the Greek Parliament, and has been operational since 1995.
OKANA performs as a legal person that is governed by private law and reports to the Greek Ministry of Health and Social Solidarity.
Its constituent instrument stipulates that the Greek Organisation Against Drugs shall:
1. plan, promote, coordinate and implement a national policy on prevention, treatment and rehabilitation of drug addicts
2. address the drug problem at a national level, provide valid and documented information, and raise public awareness
3. establish and effectively manage prevention centres, treatment units and social and professional reintegration centres
The Greek Organisation Against Drugs (OKANA) has always endeavoured to combine the roles of national coordinator and services and programmes provider in the fields of prevention, treatment and reintegration.
To hammer out and coordinate national drug policies, OKANA works together with national (ministries, treatment programmes, local government authorities, universities etc.), European and international organisations (the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (EMCDDA), the Pompidou Group of the Council of Europe, the World Health Organisation, the United Nations etc.).
To look into the drug problem in Greece, OKANA works closely with the Greek Reitox Focal Point (National Documentation and Information Centre on Drugs and Drug Addiction – EKTEPN).
When it comes to prevention, OKANA has liaised with local government authorities in order to create an extended network of Prevention Centres all over Greece alongside several treatment and social reintegration programmes meeting the different needs of addicted persons.
It is great that governments and NGOs can work together to establish centers for teen rehab for drug abuse that can help give teenage addicts a brighter future.
Related pages about the Organisations For Drugs And Therapeutic Programmes In Greece:
- Greek Organisation Against Drugs – OKANA
- Pyxida Organization Against Drugs in Greece
- Self – Help Promoting Program in Thessaloniki
- Therapy Center for Dependent Individuals – KETHEA
- Paremvasi – Therapeutic program in Greece
- EXODOS Therapeutic Programme in Central Greece
- Psychiatric Clinic of Thessaloniki
Read more about the Greek Organization Against Drugs: